More digit in currency

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 22 15:29:25 EDT 2004

Hi,

First, you should upgrade to 1.8.9, the latest stable relase.  It has
some exchange-rate issues fixed which might help you.  I'll note that
you can change the number of significant digits on a per-account
basis.  Just edit the account and you'll be allowed to change it if
you need more significant digits.  However, I don't think that's your
problem.

Your limitation of 9,233,372.00 (actually, I bet it's .03 or .04) is
surprising, but quite understandable.  You see, 2^63 ==
9223372036854775808 which is the largest number we can represent.  But
we represent all numbers as fractions, with (2^63)/(2^64).  To be
limited to 9,233,372 that implies your denominator must be 10^12!
Whoa!  Why do you need that many significant digits?  Do you really
need to represent one trillionth of a dollar?

Reduce your denominator (to like 10^6 or even 10^9) and you'll have a
better chance or representing larger numbers.  Even with an exchange
rate of 1:9000, having 6-9 decimal digits should be sufficient to
represent what you need.  Indeed, a denominator of 900000 will
represent one cent!  (i.e., 1/900000 IDR == 0.01 USD).

You might want to try representing everything in IDR instead of USD,
and postpone the conversions until as late as possible.

I should also note that gnucash has known issues with the Balance
Sheet and multi-currency investments.  It doesn't have capital
gains/losses properly, yet.

-derek