What to use for Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 ES?

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Tue Mar 2 08:20:13 CST 2004

Robert Heller wrote:
 > Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com>, In a message on Mon, 01 Mar
 > 2004 14:43:41 -0500, wrote :
 >
 > JB> I was surprised that no version of GnuCash was on RHES3 ES
 > distribution JB> (unless I missed it). I tried to install GnuCash
 > from RHL 9, but it had JB> all manner of dependency problems.
 >
 > You *may* have to install various dependent RPMs.  Also, try
 > installing the GnuCash RPMS for RH 7.x.
 >
 > JB> JB> Is there a "right way" to get GnuCash into that machine? JB>
 >  JB> I went here: http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/ and they talk
 > about JB> redhat-[56789].x and stuff. I suppose redhat9.x is not the
 > way to go.
 >
 > Please post the list of deps (do a rpm -hiv --test
 > gnucash-1.8.8*.i386.rpm).

That machine is not on the Internet yet. So I did one with the one that
comes with RHL 9, which is not 1.8.8. I could download that to this
machine, write a CD-ROM, carry it over to the other machine, etc.
Sneakernet. I sneakernetted the following on a floppy.

warning: gnucash-1.8.1-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: Failed dependencies:
	libbonobo-print.so.2 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libbonobo.so.2 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libbonobox.so.2 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libdb-4.0.so is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgal.so.21 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgconf-1.so.1 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgconf-gtk-1.so.1 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libglade-gnome.so.0 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libglade.so.0 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgnomecanvaspixbuf.so.1 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgnomeprint.so.15 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgtkhtml-1.1.so.3 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libguile.so.12 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libguppi.so.16 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libguppitank.so.16 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgwrap-glib.so.1 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libgwrap-wct.so.1 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	liboaf.so.0 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
	libqthreads.so.12 is needed by gnucash-1.8.1-3
     Suggested resolutions:
	compat-db-4.0.14-5.i386.rpm
	gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.18.0-8.1.i386.rpm
	guile-1.6.4-8.i386.rpm
	libglade-0.17-12.1.i386.rpm

Luckily (I think) none of compat-db gdk-pixbuf-gnome guile or libglade
are installed at all on that machine, so I can try to install them from
the RHEL3 CD-ROMS (4 of them) or the RHL 9 CD-ROMs without conflict. Of
course, I do not know what they depend on, so perhaps they will not
install either. I can try later today.

There is some stuff there already:

bonobo-activation-2.2.2-1
gnome-python-bonobo-1.99.14-5
libbonobo-2.2.3-1
libbonoboui-2.2.2-1

libglade2-2.0.1-3
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.16-8

 > JB> JB> Do I go here:
 > http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/ and JB> pick the
 > highest one (gnucash-1.8.8.tar.gz) and build from source? JB> JB>
 > What else will I need to download and build to get it all working?
 >
 > Probably a batch of additional RPMs.  http://rpmfind.net/ is your
 > friend.

I have found that rpmfind.net is my enemy, not my friend, and I have
vowed never to use it again. When using stuff from there with Red Hat 5,
6, and 6.2, I got avalanches of dependency problems and when they are
all resolved, the system becomes flakey. So I update only with Red Hat's
up2date. I may be a little late with some updates that way, but I never
get dependency problems that way. Trouble is probably due to the
dependencies being wrong either by omission (depends on particular
version of something, but wrongly stated), or commission (claims to
depend on a particular old version when a newer version will work).

For example, I installed RHL9's version of xosview on RHEL 3 ES. It
works sort-of. rpm had no complaints whatever. But it segfaults
sometimes, and several of the interrupts are indicated as always
interrupting when I know that is not the case. Sin of omission, I
suspect. It works perfectly well on my RHL 9 machine.

 > Question:  why are you installing this on a *server*?  Or maybe the
 > question is, why have you installed a *server* distro on your
 > workstation?

I installed a server distro on my workstation because it also serves a
couple of other machines. For various reasons, I need to run sendmail,
bind, and samba on there and the best way to get that is with the ES
version instead of the WS version. Also putting IBM's DB2 dbms on there
and it needs IBM's Java stuff that I could get by other means, but comes
with RHEL3 ES.

The main reason for building this new machine was to get enough
horsepower to run DB2. Mainly IO horsepower, but the two Xeon 3.06GHz
with 1Meg L3 cache do not hurt either. Funny watching top showing me
there are 4 CPUs. But the 4 Ultra/320 10,000rpm SCSI hard drives are
what will really make the difference, since the usual problem with DB2
is that it is seek limited for hours at a time, and having 5 spindles on
the machine instead of two should cut the seeking a lot (iff I lay
things out right, that is).

Now one of my other machines is too slow to run GnuCash (P166 Pentium
with 256MBytes RAM), and even this machine (dual 550MHz Pentium III
processors, 512Megabytes RAM) is very slow bringing GnuCash up, though
it runs acceptably once it is up. But I will reboot this machine a lot
because I regret to say I will need to make it dual boot with Microsoft
XP. So I prefer to keep all the "good stuff" on the new machine.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.