401K and Employer Contribution Part 2

Mark Eackloff meackloff at cox.net
Mon Mar 8 20:52:28 CST 2004

I agree with the idea of two accounts only if you want to recognized the unvested part as having been "realized."  But I wouldn't bypass the P&L accounts to get it into Equity.  You worked for it and the IRS will treat it as earned income (when you eventually draw from your account).  It did not just drop out of the sky.

If you want to follow a practice that resembles GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), you don't record the unvested part.  It doesn't belong on the balance sheet (or on the income statement) because it hasn't happended yet and you havn't completed your performance with respect to earning that money.  But record it as revenue when it becomes vested.  You should get statements from the fund custodian at least once a year showing both you vested and unvested amounts.  I probably wouldn't bother updating you "books" more often than once per year.

Mark Eackloff, CPA
(at least I'm a CPA in Maryland)