Privacy

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Thu Mar 11 23:34:34 CST 2004

Jim Woodruff <james.woodruff at comcast.net> writes:

> My computer is accessed by the entire family and my kids friends.
> Is there a way to password gnucash or its data files? I've searched
> the help files and man pages without success.

Use Unix security:

  $ chmod 700 gnucashdir

Log out when you're not using the machine. Give each member of your
family and their friends their own account.

Another thing you can do for added security is to encrypt the files with
gpg:

  $ gpg finances.xac                      # decrypt
  $ gnucash				  # run gnucash
  $ gpg -e finances.xas			  # encrypt

Read the gpg man pages to find out how to create a key if you haven't
already done so.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD