Privacy

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 12 13:56:28 CST 2004

Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:

> 1) The GnuCash developers are *probably* not experts at writing the
> security code.  This means it is likely to be either not really secure
> or will be flakey -- that is the 'security option' will be an illusion
> that does not provide any real security.

Actually, this is untrue.  In Real Life I am a Security Guru.  In fact
I WROTE half of what became PGP 5.  But I agree with you that Gnucash
should not include this directly.

I'll also note that this feature is only useful for XML files, WHICH
ARE GOING AWAY IN A FUTURE VERSION.  It's neigh impossible to
"encrypt" a database.

Basically: learn to use Unix File Permissions.  They exist for a
REASON.  Use them.  It's not our job to deal with your laziness.