Privacy

Lindenaar, D.J.W. D.J.W.Lindenaar at student.tue.nl
Fri Mar 12 14:04:33 CST 2004

This is all very interesting. The whole idea behind this linux (unix)
philosophy is very well thought out and I wouldn't try and burn my
fingers trying to change peoples mind about this. It's the simple truth
that security experts should write security and accounting experts
should write accounting software.

So, what is there to be done. Simply make sure that everyone understands
the way to go. The whole linux security is based on the idea that every
user has his own account and there is no sharing done. Well the problem
now is that someone is using his linux box in a Microsoft-like way,
thereby degrading inherent security of the linux-system. What he wants
is to secure _just_ his gnucash bookkeeping. The solution is already
given so I'll just try to show how it could be done.

1. create a user (probably 'bookkeeper' or something)
2. move all bookkeeping info from the default user's home to
bookkeepers' home.
3. tell KDE or GNOME to run gnucash as a different user (being
'bookkeeper') or change the command from /usr/bin/gnucash to su
bookkeeper -c /usr/bin/gnucash.

Like this it can be done. The OS asks the password for 'bookkeeper' and
if correct fires up gnucash. If your son starts gnucash he doesn't know
the password and so can't start gnucash nor can he delete the
accountfile or anything.

This is the way it is done the linux-way. It is pretty much exactly the
same thing a MS-money would seem to do it except that the nice work done
by the linux-kernel-team is probably much more secure than some hack by
the accounting programmers.

Greetings Daniel.