Privacy

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 12 14:09:14 CST 2004

Marc Evans <Marc at SoftwareHackery.Com> writes:

> While I can understand and agree with your summary, I will ask the
> question, what do you propose people do to minimize problems that could be
> caused as a result of a computer theft, such that the computer contains
> one or more gnucash databases which happen to contain sensitive
> information such as credit card numbers and other data useful for identify
> theft? My gut instinct is to lean toward an encrypted filesystem, which of
> course has performance implications. Are there other techniques that
> people are employing today to deal with this?

An encrypted filesystem is exactly what I would recommend first.  With
today's CPU speeds, you wont notice the overhead.

My second suggestion would be a USB drive (or even a USB "token" drive)
which you can carry around with you on your keychain.

My third suggestion would be to PGP-encrypt your data file..  And be sure
to encrypt/delete your backup/log files.

Again, I do not believe this is GnuCash's role.