Trying to build GnuCash 1.8.8 from source for RHEL3

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Mon Mar 15 14:10:50 CST 2004

I started this, not expecting it to be fast. Problems have ensued, but I
  am not sure they are dependency problems or not. The ./configure
process fails for some of the components:

1.) Both Guppi and gnome-print fail the same way. Here are the last few
lines from the ./configure output from gnome-print:

checking for gdk-pixbuf-config... /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-config
checking for GDK_PIXBUF - version >= 0.7.0... yes
checking for gnome-config... (cached) /usr/bin/gnome-config
Unknown library `xml'
checking for xmlNewDoc in -lxml... Unknown library `xml'
no
configure: error: Could not link sample xml program

Guppi is essentially identical to that. Yet:

trillian:jdbeyer[/usr/src/gnome-print]$ locate libxml.so.1
/usr/lib/libxml.so.1
/usr/lib/libxml.so.1.8.17

are there, where /usr/lib/libxml.so.1 is a symlink to
/usr/lib/libxml.so.1.8.17.

I assume it unlikely that there is a bug in the configure script. Does
it want a libxml.a file somewhere (there is none in the rpm that put the
libxml.so.1.8.17 in there). Is there some way to get around this? I.e.,
what is the error message trying to tell me (other than having me trying
to get Red Hat to release a gnucash rpm for RHEL3).

2.) guile-1.6.4 built and installed, seemingly OK.
     slib (slib3a1) seems to have installed just fine.
     Yet, when I try to run ./configure in g-wrap (1.3.4) I get, as the
last few output lines:

checking for Guile Scheme directory... /usr/local/share/guile
checking if guile uses old style smobs... no
checking for glib-config... /usr/bin/glib-config
checking if guile long_long is at least as big as gint64... no
checking if unsigned long is at least as big as guint32... no
configure: error: cannot continue
./configure: line 8147: exit: size: numeric argument required
./configure: line 8147: exit: size: numeric argument required

I do not understand the complaint, so I have no clue how to fix it.

3.) Sooner or later it looks as though I will be needing GtkHTML, but if
I follow the link on the GnuCash page, it just gets me a page of
apparently useless stuff. And none of the links there seem to come up
with downloads. Where should I get authoritative source?

4.) Sooner or later I will probably need glade stuff. Can the following
stuff that comes with the RHEL3 be used?

libglade2-devel-2.0.1-3
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.16-8
libglade2-2.0.1-3
glade2-2.0.0-1

It seems that there is glade 2.0.1 for gnome GTK+ 2.x and GNOME 2.x
systems and glade 0.6.4 for GTK+ 1.2 and GNOME 1.4 systems. Since all my
gnome stuff seems to be

libgnome-devel-2.2.2-6
libgnomeprint22-2.2.1.3-5
libgnomeprintui22-2.2.1.3-2.0
libgnome-2.2.2-6

I would infer mine is a 2.x system, though there are rpms such as these
on there as well:

gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-34.1
gnome-libs-devel-1.4.1.2.90-34.1
gnome-audio-1.4.0-6

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.