Unable to access data

Scott hscast at charter.net
Tue Mar 16 09:01:56 CST 2004

Scott Minster wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>

>>I am no longer able to access my data file even tha backups seem to hang
>>when loading. I am able to load my test files no problem but when
>>cycles when I do a ps -ef.
>>
>>Can someone point me in the right direction, I need to input today.
>>

>It's possible the data file was corrupted somehow.  Can you open your
>oldest .xac backup file?  If so, try opening the next newest one, and so
>on, until you get to the first backup file that doesn't work.  Then diff
>the two files (the one that works and the one that doesn't) to see what
>the differences are.
>
>Also, if you have scheduled transactions in your file, that can also
>sometimes cause problems.  Try disabling running them on startup (run
>'gnucash --nofile', then go to edit->preferences->scheduled transactions
>and clear the first checkbox) and then try opening your data file.

That's what I finally did. I had to go back a couple of xac files but I
was able to get it working again. Unfortunately I forgot about diff and
manually brought the file upto date. I'm embarresed about that part
since I've benn working with UNIX for about 20 years, until July 2000. I
will definetly try the rest of your suggestion. Thanks.