Stock "spin-offs"

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Fri Mar 19 11:23:38 EST 2004

The question is not necessarily how to account for it for tax purposes.
My question is: How do I conceptually make it "appear" in gnucash?

I know I can create the stock account, that is not my issue.

Do I treat the spin-offs as if they "fell from the sky", or is there a
better way to do this (almost like a stock spit)?

BTW: The quantity of GM stock was not changed, nor did I pay for the new
stock, other than capital gains tax.