Stock "spin-offs"

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Fri Mar 19 11:40:26 EST 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:
> In that case I'd treat it like it came from the sky.  But that's
> just me.  I'd still figure out what you need for tax purposes
> because that would answer whether to call it equity or income.

It is neither; it is a return of capital originally invested in the
company doing the spin-off; the returned capital being used to buy the
shares of the spun-off company.

You need to handle it that way to get the record date and purchase price
of the spun-off company so you can figure the capital gains when you
sell the stock in the spun-off company, and know if it is short-term,
long-term, or very-long-term capital gains. You also need it to compute
the cost basis of the company doing the spin-off.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.