Stock "spin-offs"

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Fri Mar 19 13:18:10 EST 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>>    Derek> Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> writes:
>>
>>    >> It is neither; it is a return of capital originally invested in
>>    >> the company doing the spin-off; the returned capital being used
>>    >> to buy the shares of the spun-off company.
>>
>>    Derek> A return on capital is called "equity" ;)
>>
>>I noticed Jean-David twice said "return _of_" not "return _on_".  Was
>>this deliberate?
>

> A return _of_ capital is ALSO called "equity"  :)

I guess I am confused about that (far too much time wasted running
various versions of Quicken). If I buy shares of a company, and it pays
me a dividend, or if I buy a bond and it pays me interest, I would call
those _return on capital_. But if I bought a bond, and the issuer called
it, the amount I received (not counting the interest) I would call a
_return of capital_. Similarly, if I bought shares of a company that
later started another company and gave the new company half its assets
and gave my my proportional share of stock in the new company, I would
call that a return of capital of the original company, and the purchase
of shares of the new company with that returned capital.

If I buy shares of a company, I get the money to do so from some
account, and it is not an equity account. It could be a savings account,
a checking account, or a cash-on-hand account for that matter (although
a broker might fear I wanted to do money laundering were I to walk in
with a significant amount of cash for share purchase). That gets me
shares of that company. Now if that company pays a dividend, that is
sure not a return of capital, and the tax guys know that because they
tax it. If it does a split, that just doubles (in the case of a 2:1
split) the number of shares and cuts the cost basis per share in half.

Now a spin-off works as though some of the investment was returned to
the owner, which reduces the cost basis of the shares; it is not the
result of selling a portion of the shares, nor can it be the result of
reducing the share price at the moment of the transaction (though if
stock markets were rational, the share prices would go down exactly as
the value of the spin-off was distributed). Now if we do this in more
than one step, that returned capital can be stored in an equity account,
or a checking account, or what not, because it will be there less than
an instant, being used to purchase the shares of the new company.

Quicken does not care where it was, but that is just another example of
Quicken's many failings.

If GnuCash does (and I assume it does) care, it probably makes more
sense to stuff it into some temporary equity account (temporary in terms
of its contents: the account could be created anytime before it was
needed and just left there the rest of the time) than any other "real"
account, such as checking, because if you put it in one of those, there
would be transactions that would be difficult to justify even though the
balances would all work out except for the "instant" they were in the
(inappropriate) account.

Now a complication (or simplification, depending on how you choose to
look at it) is that most people do not take delivery of their share
certificates. They are not record owners of the shares, just beneficial
owners. The shares are held in street name at a brokerage house. In that
case, there seems to be no need for an equity account to hold the
returned principle: it can just sit for less than an instant in the
brokerage account. (It never even appears at the brokerage either, but
only on the books of the company itself, but I cannot imagine anyone
choosing to keep a subset the accounts of the companies in which they
own stocks just for purposes of accounting niceties.)

Where "money" goes can be very important for these "instants."
If I transfer assets from one IRA to another, for example, if it passes
through my hands (bank account, etc.) for even an instant, withholding
tax must be paid, and will be deducted by the originating broker. If it
goes broker-to-broker, then it is not a taxible event (except IRA to
Roth-IRA).

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.