Installer Can't Find TeTex

Tristan Chase ubu69 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 17:52:11 CST 2004

Hi. I am currently trying to install GnuCash on Mac OS X (10.2) via the
fink method. I have done the following:

fink selfupdate; fink list

After this I have done

fink install gnucash

After several hours the install aborted and gave me a message saying
that it could not find teTeX and that I can install it manually, which
I then did.

After I installed teTex (which works from OS X, not X11) I repeated the
process. I got this message after several more hours:

dpkg -i
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/system-
tetex_20010808-12_darwin-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 14848 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking system-tetex (from
.../system-tetex_20010808-12_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

It looks like you may have teTeX installed .. will check for some files
..

You don't a valid teTeX installation; you were missing
  /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a
/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/tex-file.h

Install the tetex-texmf and tetex-base packages instead,
or install teTeX manually from
http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html
and then retry installing the system-tetex package.

dpkg: error processing
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/system-
tetex_20010808-12_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/system-
tetex_20010808-12_darwin-powerpc.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-tetex-20010808-12

My question is, if I have teTex installed manually how does the
installer find it? I am fairly new to Unix/Linux but I am quick to
grasp the general concepts. I do understand that the installer is
looking for a placeholder (system-tetex_20010808-12_darwin-powerpc.deb)
in the directory
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/. What should I
do?

-Tristan Chase