My Guppi is Drowning (More Install Problems)

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Mar 23 07:26:33 EST 2004

[ Great Subject: , BTW. :) ]

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 17:34, Alex Roston wrote:

> I have installed Guppi-0.40.3 and it compiled correctly. (Thanks Derek!)
> However, the Gnucash configure apparently can't find Guppi, and is
> giving the following error message:

> checking for gnome-config... (cached) /usr/bin/gnome-config
> checking for libguppi - version >= 0.35.1... Unknown library `libguppi'

Hmm.  Warning-flag one: configuration caching.

> *** Could not run libguppi test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
> for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means libguppi was
> incorrectly installed
> *** or that you have moved libguppi since it was installed. In the
> latter case, you
> *** may want to edit the gnome-config script: /usr/bin/gnome-config
> configure: error: libguppi not found

Warning flag two; telling you to modify the cached configuration file
after a change...

> The GnuCash config.log reads as follows:
[deletia]
> configure:14326: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused
> -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
> -I/usr/X11R6/include   conftest.c -lpopt -lm  -lm -rdynamic -L/usr/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm 1>&5
> configure:14319:35: libguppi/guppi-useful.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 14316 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <libguppi/guppi-useful.h>
>
> int main() {
>  return 0;
> ; return 0; }

Well, that's the smoking gun ... can't find the header file, thus can't
build the test-program.

> According to a "find" Guppi has been installed in the following directories:
>
> /usr/local/lib/
> /usr/local/lib/guppi/plug-ins/
> /usr/local/include/gnome-1.0/libguppi
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/
> /usr/local/share/guppi

Directories are somewhat useful, but we really need to ensure that the
not-found header file is available.  What about the output of 'locate
guppi-useful.h'?

Another thing to note is that the include line for the test program
doesn't have "-I/usr/local/include/gnome-1.0/", which would be required
to find an "#include <libguppi/guppi-useful.h>".

> It sound like either Guppi's install, or GnuCash configure need to be
> adjusted somehow so they can find each other. What do I do? Can I use
> symlinks?

Another option as per the warning-flag above is to ensure that the
configure script is doing it's most to find out about your system ...
try removing config.cache before running it, the next time.  Especially
if the `locate` command returns the file as expected.

Another thing you should probably do is re-install guppi with a prefix
of "/usr", not "/usr/local".

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`