Vendor - Opening Balances

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 27 09:35:20 EST 2004

Bill & Di McDonald <mcetten at xtra.co.nz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Gnucash.  I have been powering away entering info and
> finding it really great. But have now hit a brick wall.
>

> Is it possible to enter opening balances against individual Vendor accounts?

No.

> I can't work out how to do this?

The only way to do that is to issue a vendor bill with the opening balance.

> I can see I could enter a entry between Accounts Payable and the Equity
> Opening Balances Account. But see no way of allocation the Opening Balance to
> the individual vendors, so that the payments when made go to the vendor
> accounts.

Indeed, you cannot do that.

You might be able to use the Equity account instead of the Expense account
in the bill.

> Or do I have to post the payments related to previous periods against the
> opening balance in accounts payable?? rather than the vendors affected.

gnucash doesn't do multiple periods, yet.  Most of the reports, however,
will interpret the data into periods for you.