Properly Closing a year in Gnucash for a business

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 28 19:35:53 EST 2004

Create Equity:Retained Earnings.

For each Income/Expense account with a non-zero balance, transfer that
balance to the E:RE account.

At this point there is no automated way to do this.

I'll also note that the P&L and Balance Sheet reports don't need you
to do this -- they internally figure the differences at your
start/end, and indeed it can cause problems with the reports going
back in time if you do this.

-derek