huge files

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 15 07:37:43 EDT 2004

  "A. R. Van Hook" <hook at lake-lotawana.mo.us>,
  In a message on Thu, 06 May 2004 07:45:15 -0500, wrote :

"RVH> We have been using GnuCash for several months for a small business
"RVH> (bridal shop) with a dozen or so invoices per day. The 'tared' weekly
"RVH> data files are huge, > 500M!
"RVH>  Is this normal or do we have configuration problems?

It might be 'normal'.  GnuCash is very 'paranoid' about keeping backup
copies and creating log files.  Everytime you save things and/or fire
GnuCash up, you get another 'backup' and 'log' file, a file whose name
consists of a long digit string (like '20040501084914') and ending with
either .xac and/or .log.  You can *probably* just delete the older
versions of these files. from time to time.  Maybe a weekly or monthly
cron job to delete the older versions of these file.

I use GnuCash for pretty much just balancing my checkbook and maybe fire
up GnuCash once a day, but sometimes skip firing it up for 2-3 days at a
time, so the 'acclumulation' of backup and log files is not so large.

"RVH> thanks
"RVH>
"RVH> system: Redhat 9.0
"RVH>              GnuCash 1.8.8
"RVH>
"RVH> --
"RVH> A. R. Van Hook
"RVH> Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technologies
"RVH>    IT System Engineer
"RVH> City of Lake Lotawana MO
"RVH>    Mayor
"RVH> pager        (816)458-2585 24hrs