libgw-gnc.so missing

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Fri May 28 15:10:37 EDT 2004

Building GnuCash 1.8.9 from source I'm running into problems with
getting libraries built/installed.

The configure/make/make install completes but I get a non-functioning
program at the end of it:

$ gnucash
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "libgw-gnc.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

It looks like an autofoo problem to me - libgw-gnc.so.0.0.0U is getting
built instead of libgw-gnc.so.0.0.0.  Looking through the .libs
directories something similar seems to be happening for other libs too
(libgncgnome, libgncmod-generic-import, ...).

I'm using autoconf 2.59, automake 1.8.5 and libtool 1.5.6.  I've tried
downgrading libtool to 1.4.3, autoconf to 2.13 and automake to 1.4-p6,
but this hasn't helped.  So maybe it isn't anything to do with this.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?
Are there specific autofoo versions that are known to work/not work?

Cheers,

- olly