exporting gnucash-data

Vasil Vasilev vasil-gnucash at sychron.com
Sat May 29 15:40:49 EDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Anders Vinjar wrote:

> Ive been searching around a bit without finding any obvious
> solutions: how can i get hold of my gnucash-file, or selected
> data in gnucash, say transaction-data from one account, and
> export it to work with it in other programs like for instance
> spread-sheets (fex. gnumeric)?
>
> Ive tried using various Reports without luck.

I had exactly the same problem and found a work-around. It is not the best but
works for me. I do a transaction report, then select the contents, and paste
it into gnumeric. Works like a charm.
[You can, of course, choose which fields go into the report, that is, select
what is exported.]

You can also export the report into an HTML file, give it to someone else, who
can then use their favourite browser and copy and paste into their favourite
spreasheet.

The only problem I had was that the subtotals had the wrong formatting for
that, but I submitted a patch which one of the developer committed to CVS (and
sorted out). So, if you need it get the CVS version, or I can tell you what I
did to patch my version. If you do the patching yourself, you may not get the
best of support from the developers here, so it is not quite recommended.

So, I will recommend doing a transaction report without subtotals, then copy
and paste into gnumeric until the next release.

Sorry if this was long-winded. Hope this helps and let us know whether it
worked.

Cheers.

Vasil