Commission split buying stocks?

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 18:04:52 EST 2004

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/invest_sell1.html

> As an alternative, you could do this:
> Asset:Bank                               145.00
> Income:Gain on sale                      5.00
> Asset:Stock                                45.00
>           Asset:Stock     -10   15                   150.00
>           Income: Gain on sale                        45.00
>
> The only difference is that the commission is posted to offset the
> gain instead of to a separate expense account.  Either way works,
> though.

I'm in the U.S. The schedule D form does not have a place for entering
the commission - just the net basis and net sale.

I agree that it really doesn't matter as long as you end up with the
correct answer. I'm just surprised by the suggestion to use the
Expense:Commissions account also since it appears to me to make it
more difficult to get the gain/loss correct for your taxes. If you did
that for both sales and purchases, you couldn't just look at your
commission expense account and get the correct amount for that year
(since some of the commissions might be the basis for stocks you
bought this year but did not sell yet). And on the US tax form, you
want the correct commission for each sale (not just the total of your
commissions) so that it matches the 1099 form your broker sends you.

Dave