Reconciling single cheque covering multiple payments

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Nov 8 04:56:00 EST 2004

On Monday 08 Nov 2004 04:52, Des Dougan wrote:
> I received a single cheque this week which covered two invoices. I
> processed the cheque, and have matched it with my bank download.
> However, the two invoices that the cheque relates to continue to show as
> not paid (unsurprisingly).
>
> How should I resolve this, and should I take a different approach if
> this happens again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Des

Hi Des,

I have that situation arise most months with one of my clients (well, OK,
every second month *sigh*), and I haven't noticed the problem you describe.

I assume that you are using the A/R system, and you did the usual business ->
customers -> process payment routine?

AFAIK, payments posted are taken off the oldest outstanding invoice for that
client and are then applied in date order. Have you had payments for invoices
that were not in date order?  that may have screwed the ledger up a bit?

Maf.