chart of accounts

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Tue Nov 9 01:17:13 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Sunday 31 October 2004 8:28 am, John Sowden wrote:
> > each line might look like:
> > 613.0    Rent
>
> But these are arbitrary numbers that you have invented, GnuCash can only
> support these if you enter them by hand for each account.
>
> > no balances, etc.  I see they are working on a trial balance which is like
> > a chart of accounts with debit or credit balance amounts.
>
> If it's only for a paper copy, why are the balances a problem? Change the
> report options to a set of dates that are very old. Or just tippex the
> balances out. (UK paper correction fluid, tippex).
>
> > What I am going to do with it is:
> > Have a paper copy to refer to when the program is not running, and
> > One my  Suse 8.0 machine is my good accounts list; I want to copy them to
> > my Suse 8.2 machine (not networked).
>
> But it presumably has a floppy drive or a USB port or some other method of
> transferring the GnuCash file - then you'd get the full data set, not just
> the account names.
>

> > I don't know  perl of xml.  I do know foxpro/dos, and I am patiently
> > waiting for an easy version of it to appear in the linux world.
>
> This FoxPro?
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
> 1992 (June) Microsoft merged with Fox Software in a $173M operation
> http://www.foxprohistory.org/foxprotimeline.htm
> (me thinks that was less of a merge and more of a takeover - even in 1992,
> Microsoft was quite a bit larger than Fox, but hey, that came from a FoxPro
> site so they are allowed to see things with rose tinted spectacles.)
>
> As a long time microsoft product, you are likely to have to wait a VERY long
> time before it is released on GNU/Linux! We could all be dead by the time
> that happens.
> :-)
>
> Learn MySQL instead.

Yeah, I really liked FoxPro back in the 1990's - it was a hell of a lot
faster than dBase3, dbase4, etc but shared the same xBase command language
and database file formats. FoxPro was the only reason I still kept a DOS PC
running after I switched to Linux in 1992 as there was no UNIX/Linux
alternative. But I installed msql in about 1998, took the trouble to learn
SQL (dead easy really) and then moved on to MySQL and have never looked
back since. And there's a utility - dbf2mysql - that will convert your
FoxPro databases to msql/MySQL.

cheers,

Andy

> > > Do you mean just the list of accounts (including sub-accounts) but
> > > without any transactions? (You aren't trying to print the entire GnuCash
> > > file?)
> > >
> > > What's wrong with the Account Summary report? You can change the report
> > > depth to include all sub-accounts.
> > >
> > > What are you trying to do with it after you save it?
> > >
> > > If you work on a backup copy of your GnuCash XML data file and you know a
> > > little Perl or XSL, you can extract all the information you need. Just
> > > don't expect to be able to modify the data in the real file.
>
> --
>
> Neil Williams
> =============
> http://www.codehelp.co.uk/
> http://www.dclug.org.uk/
> http://www.isbn.org.uk/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/isbnsearch/
>
> http://www.biglumber.com/x/web?qs=0x8801094A28BCB3E3

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together