two instances of gnucash?

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Tue Nov 9 01:19:00 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Maf. King wrote:

> On Monday 01 Nov 2004 10:43, E Dodd wrote:
> > Can I run two instances of gnucash at once?
> > I was wondering if I can have my home and business accounts open
> > simultaneously ( to make cutting and pasting my pay easier )
> > Liz
>
> HI Liz,
>
> I have run 2 instances of GC when "closing out" last year's books, to ease the
> comparing closing / opening balances, with no apparent problems.

Out of interest, what is the "official" gnucash way to close out accounts
at the end of an accounting year and then begin another year's accounts,
carrying over the same account tree and balances?

As far as I can see, this can all be done manually but I'm not aware of
any neat facililty within gnucash to do this and I'm not sure copying the
XML files to a new set and editing out last year's transactions, etc is
the best way.

Andy

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together