chart of accounts

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Tue Nov 9 18:33:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, John Sowden wrote:

> Thanks for those words of encouragement.  Your position years ago is where I
> am exactly today!  The reason that I have not migrated to mysql is: in
> addition to learning sql and the mysql commands, setup etc., it seems that I
> must learn a new language, like "C" in order to write an application that
> will allow me to use the mysql database.

Er no, not at all! At one time this was certainly true of heavyweight UNIX
database systems like Sybase and Oracle, where you often had to write a
client program yourself to get what you wanted out of the database server
- or instead pay a lot of money for a commercial front-end. But MySQL has
a command line client called simply 'mysql' which allows you to do everything
with the databases & tables. There are also quite a few GUI frontends for
Windows, Linux and various UNIXes and there are web-based frontends like
phpMyAdmin which can be used from any browser. This is in addition to
interfaces for C, PHP, Perl, etc. And it's all free.

>  The programs that I write for my
> company are not data entry/report generation only.  They are accounting,
> billing, alarm processing, service call processing, etc.  These require
> programming to control the process, not just bringing raw data onto the
> screen.

I actually use MySQL a lot through ordinary shell scripts - you can
construct a SQL query in, say, a bash shell script and pipe it into the
mysql client and capture the resultant output. I don't yet do this for
financial purposes but I do for remote system monitoring and logging
scripts, which dump events straight into MySQL databases.

Although MySQL itself lacks the full-featured integral programming language
FoxPro has, the combination of a shell script written in bash or, if you want
floating point arithmetic facilities to several decimal places (important
for finance applications) the Korn shell, and SQL queries put to a MySQL
server will give you the same functionality. It's not very difficult to
convert a FoxPro program into a shell/SQL script equivalent and I did
convert some fairly big FoxPro applications I'd written in the 80's & 90's
to run on Linux with MySQL.

Incidentally, if you want to stay with FoxPro and run it under Linux, FoxPro
for DOS versions 1.02 and 2.5 both run well under the DOS emulator dosemu
and you can also run Visual FoxPro 2.6 under wine (a Windows emulator for
Linux - see http://openfox.org for a Howto on doing this).

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Andy