Reconciling single cheque covering multiple payments

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Wed Nov 10 01:35:54 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 08:47 +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> Hi Des.
>
> On Tuesday 09 Nov 2004 06:24, Des Dougan wrote:
>

> > I am using the A/R system (or, at least, trying to...). I think what I
> > did was enter the cheque into the register and when I did a bank account
> > file import (a QFX file), matched it against the paid-in cheque - so
> > that wouldn't, I guess, know anything about which invoices to map to.
> >

> Sounds correct to me. The A/R (and A/P) system can enter transactions in other
> registers, but doesn't cope well with other registers adding transactions to
> it, (if that makes any sense)
>
> > I suspect that I don't do this frequently enough yet to have it off pat
> > in my head. So, is there a way to mark these invoices paid without
> > screwing up further? I'm assuming that if I do it with the cheque
> > already matched, processing these payments will throw my balance out. Is
> > that right? Should the correct process be 1. process payment; 2.
> > reconcile bank?
> >

> I think the only way to correct problem this is to delete the (reconciled)
> cheque from your bank account, and then re-enter it using the business ->
> customers -> process payment menu entry.  In that dialog, you select the
> customer, date, and transfer account (in this case, your bank) and hit OK and
> the invoices should get marked as paid, the cheque should re-appear in your
> bank register - and then you can reconcile again...
>
> Hope that helps,

Maf,

It most certainly does help (although it also gives me a headache...).

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support