New User Questions - initial reconciliation, displaying stock values

Oliver D. Iberien oliver-forward at charter.net
Sat Nov 13 20:02:20 EST 2004

I can't figure out any of the following. Any advice would be appreciated.

1) Opening balances in new accounts are entered as transfers from "Equity:
Opening Balances." I have done this. However, I cannot figure out how to
reconcile either the new accounts created with these transfers, or the
"Opening Balances" account itself. It seems that all my accounts will remain
unreconciled. How is this initial reconciliation achieved?

2) I have set up the online quote system. However, in the Accounts window,
stocks show up not by their current value but by the number of shares. Is
there some way of displaying current value?

I think there may be more things to ask, but as I had thought that these
things were bugs in the SuSE RPM I had, I went through the process of
compiling and installing 1.8.9.  It is truly the ordeal that it is reported
to be, and my brain has had it for the day.

Thanks,

Oliver