windoze version?

Jon Lapham lapham at jandr.org
Sun Nov 21 13:59:16 EST 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Is http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/ auto-updated from
> the gnucash-docs CVS?

It is not automatic, but I scp the html pages over to the web server
after every update.  In fact, if you follow any of the threads where I
am writing docs with someone else, you will notice that I always include
a link to the updated web pages.

> I think one problem is that the "official docs" don't get updated
> "fast enough" when changes are required,

But, this is simply not true.

For example, on Oct 7 David Harrison observes that there are problems
with the Depreciation documentation.
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2004-October/012126.html

After a number of emails being exchanged between him and I (and the
list!), I updated the docs with his suggestions 3 weeks later:

2004-10-31  Jon Lapham  <lapham at jandr.org>
     * guide/C/ch_dep.xml: David Harrison's updates

Do you have an example where someone had suggested changes to the
documentation and the changes were not made?

> and allowing users to feed in
> FAQs is a "good thing".

Totally, I just do not see the advantage of a wiki over the existing
mailing lists mechanism.

> However I completely understand the issue of
> vetting the text to make sure it's correct.
>
> So how about this for a way to move forward (assuming the answer to my
> first question is yes):
>
> 1) Incorporate all the issues from the Wiki into the docs
> 2) once the docs auto-update, change the wiki to just point to the
>    offical docs.

Great, I agree 100%.

> 3) Provide a simple mechanism for users to add questions/answers to the
>    faq.

Sure, the mailing lists would work great for this.