Using Gnucash

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Nov 24 09:43:50 EST 2004

On Tuesday 23 Nov 2004 15:45, Stuart Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just started using Gnucash (1.8.8) for my business and have a couple
> of queries regarding reports:
>
> When I display a report (doesn't matter which one), all currency fields
> have an A in front of the pound sign (GBP) eg: £16.00. I would like to
> know how to get rid of this.

Hi Stuart

That is related to your charset.  Gnucash is a gnome-1 app, and as such
doesn't understand UTF-8 encoding.  If you set your LANG to something like
en_GB.ISO-8859-1 (for British English)  the strange characters will be gone.

you can put a couple of lines into your gnucash start up script
(/opt/gnome/bin/gnucash in my case) to do this for gnucash only:

somewhere before the exec "gnucash" line, put the following 2 lines:

LANG="en_GB.ISO-8859-1"
export LANG

hope that helps,
Maf.