mixed currency accounts at the same time

Thierry Lelièvre thierrylelievre at free.fr
Sat Nov 27 09:12:03 EST 2004

< I just realised I answered directly to Dino, so I send the tip to the
whole list for people who would have to deal with several currencies at
the same time.... >

Hi,

The way I do it, as I have to deal with Euros and Canadian dollars at
the same time, is that I created a "parallel" tree for each currecy.

ex :

Assets - EUR
-> Current Assets - EUR
        -> Purse - EUR

Assets - CAD
-> Current Assets - CAD
        -> Purse - CAD

So in your case, you could do the same by creating a "basic" tree
accounts in surinamese florins, with only the kind of expense account
needed.

After that, when you exchange your money from cash Euros to surinamese
florins (SRG), you'd just have to do it this way :

Step 1 :
Purse-EUR - Credit - 300 (for instance)

As you will select the Purse-SRG account as the destination account, you
will be prompted for an exchange rate OR an amount in Surinamese money.
You will just have to type in the amount you received from the cashier
and Gnucash will calculate the exchange rate for you.

Step 2 :
After that, you just have to record your expenses in the "surinamese"
tree until you get short of local cash and get back to step 1.

This way, you will be able to keep track of your holiday expenses and
they can even be displayed in your reports in Euros (Assets,
Expenses,...) by using the ponderate average exchange rate you got
during your trip (calculated by Gnucash).

I hope this helped, and I wish you some nice holidays !!!