lb -- the little budget tool

mvillarino mvillarino at dubmail.net
Mon Nov 29 11:44:49 EST 2004

O Martes 23 Novembro 2004 08:17, Gabriel M. Beddingfield escribiu:
> Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
> I introduce to you lb, the little budget tool for GnuCash.  It is a
> command-line utility to help you keep a budget using your GnuCash data.
>
> As you all know, GnuCash is an excellent financial package.  You probably
> also know that it lacks a budgeting tool -- although one is in the works.
> To get me by until this new feature comes out, I've created a command-line
> tool to accomplish this task.  In the hopes that it will help other people,
> I'm releasing it here:  http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/lb.  License is GPL.
>
> The lb utility will take a budget file (CSV format with values for each
> account) and a cash-flow report (from GnuCash) and compare them
> side-by-side.  It also calculates the difference for each line item.
>
> Hope this helps!

There is a program called Kbudget that considers budgets the same way as you,
but it's integrated into the account concept. I'll explain it: an account has
a type (incomes, expenses, assets, etc), a budget balance, and a budget
assignment by moth. An account contents zero or more transactions.
Budget assignment by moth is the quantity you expect to expend by month. Can
be modified.
Budget balance is the sum of the previous budget balance and the difference of
real last month real expenses and last month budgeted expenses.

It's a way to avoid the need to make ad hoc money reserves (provisions).