Invoice description field enhancement

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Tue Oct 5 04:47:29 EDT 2004

In a previous message, Des Dougan <des at DouganConsulting.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 09:21 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > you DON'T need to supply a value for every item, and I _believe_ you don't
> > need to supply an account if the value is zero.
>
> I just tried this, and it sort of works for me. You can indeed put in
> multiple lines, leaving out unrequired values (thanks for the suggestion).
> However, the invoice report shows a quantity of 0.00, a total of $0.00, etc.
> on the lines with zero values. It would be much better if these were left
> blank (for me, at any rate).

I've encountered a similar problem with one of my clients. For this client, I
work on several journals and the client likes me to put the name of the
journal involved at the top of each invoice, with the various articles for the
journal listed below. If I enter a blank item with just the name of the
journal then, as Des found, it gets given explicit zero values for the charges
instead of being left blank. Because this gives a wrong appearance (this isn't
a chargeable item at all but a simple subheading) and is not very nice in
appearance anyway, I've settled for having separate invoice templates for each
journal and changing over the template and rerunning GnuCash before printing
each invoice (because, as we found a little while ago, GnuCash doesn't let you
add extra reports).

So, as a feature enhancement, suppressing the display of zero values that are
not explicitly set in the invoice would be good.

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price