Catagories or accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 14 18:51:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

Phil Scherzinger <pscherz at earthlink.net> writes:

> Need some help and an explanation.  I come from a Quicken
> background, so patience please.  I am looking through the list of
> catagories, and find I would like to either edit, delete or add to
> them.  Can I? if so, how.

First, a bit of terminology.  There are no "categories" in GnuCash.
Gnucash ONLY has accounts.  What quicken labels categories are just
"income" and "expense" accounts in gnucash.

Having said that...  Which "list of categories" do you mean?  Do you
mean the list in the New Hierarchy Druid (the one you get when you
run File -> New File or when you first started?).

The short answer is "yes", you can edit the account list, but only
after you've created your actual data file.  Once you've created your
Chart of Accounts you can add/edit/delete to your heart's content.

> Also, and this borders on an accounting question, when do I want to
> use an account vs a catagory?

See above explanation about gnucash accounts....