Feeding the Cash in Wallet Account from the ATM Account

Jon Lapham lapham at jandr.org
Tue Oct 19 14:11:46 EDT 2004

BruceG wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> 	I have been recording my ATM Withdrawals as a transfer from my Checking
> Account to an expense account called ATM Withdrawals. I want to start using
> the Cash in Wallet account.
>
> 	Would I do the following:
> 	Transfer from Checking account (asset) to ATM Withdrawals (expense)
> 	Transfer from ATM Withdrawals (expense) to Cash in Wallet (asset)

I would transfer from Checking (asset) directly to Cash in Wallet
(asset).  Then, as you spend the cash, you transfer from Cash in Wallet
(asset) to the correct expense account.

Your transactions should reflect reality.  You *really did* transfer
from your Checking to your Wallet, so record it that way.

At the end of the month, if you notice that you have less money in your
wallet than you accounted for in GnuCash, transfer from Cash in Wallet
to an expense account named "Unknown".