See all of customer list

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Oct 29 05:59:53 EDT 2004

On Friday 29 Oct 2004 05:38, Marc Paré wrote:

> I wonder why the use of the * is not used as the wildcard?
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

HI Marc,

It is because (I assume) gnucash uses a regex library to do the pattern
searches, and regexes are far more powerful (ie complicated) than shell *
expansion.

As a very quick pointer,

. matches any one character
? matches the preceeding character zero or more times
* matches the preceeding element zero or more times.

thus you have to specify what the * (or ?) will look for - in this case for
showing all the vendor list in gc, you could just as happily use a regex like
a? or Z*  which will match zero or more instances of "a" (or "Z") in the
vendor names.

The . is just a quick way to match with any non-empty string.

Maf.