chart of accounts

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 03:59:10 EST 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 8:28 am, John Sowden wrote:
> each line might look like:
> 613.0    Rent

But these are arbitrary numbers that you have invented, GnuCash can only
support these if you enter them by hand for each account.

> no balances, etc.  I see they are working on a trial balance which is like
> a chart of accounts with debit or credit balance amounts.

If it's only for a paper copy, why are the balances a problem? Change the
report options to a set of dates that are very old. Or just tippex the
balances out. (UK paper correction fluid, tippex).

> What I am going to do with it is:
> Have a paper copy to refer to when the program is not running, and
> One my  Suse 8.0 machine is my good accounts list; I want to copy them to
> my Suse 8.2 machine (not networked).

But it presumably has a floppy drive or a USB port or some other method of
transferring the GnuCash file - then you'd get the full data set, not just
the account names.

> I don't know  perl of xml.  I do know foxpro/dos, and I am patiently
> waiting for an easy version of it to appear in the linux world.

This FoxPro?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
1992 (June) Microsoft merged with Fox Software in a $173M operation
http://www.foxprohistory.org/foxprotimeline.htm
(me thinks that was less of a merge and more of a takeover - even in 1992,
Microsoft was quite a bit larger than Fox, but hey, that came from a FoxPro
site so they are allowed to see things with rose tinted spectacles.)

As a long time microsoft product, you are likely to have to wait a VERY long
time before it is released on GNU/Linux! We could all be dead by the time
that happens.
:-)

Learn MySQL instead.

--