Mutual Funds Cap Gains or Dividend Reinvestment

rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com
Wed Sep 1 17:40:36 EDT 2004

Hi Derek,

OK, I installed the updated report.  It didn't make any difference
in behavior.  It still shows appreciation of the funds, but not ROI.  I am
entering my dividends into Income: Dividend Income, and my Capital Gains into
Income: Capital gains.  When I reinvest I transfer from those accounts.  I'm
not selling anything.  Is there anything I'm missing, or is this report simply
unable to show ROI, just appreciation?

Thanks,
Bob
--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU
wrote:
Look for src/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm

-derek

> rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com writes:
>
> > Derek,
>

> > I am running ver 1.8.7.  I googled for "gnucash cvs advanced" and
> > found an email by you saying that a new version of the portfolio report
would
> > be in release 1.8.8.  Do I need to upgrade?  If not, how can I
find the report
> > in cvs.gnucash.org?  I filtered by "head" and didn't
see it.  But heck, let's
> > face it, I don't understand the CVS thing at
all.

> > Bob
> >
> > --- Derek Atkins
> > <warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:

> > Did you try the Advanced Portfolio Report from CVS
> > (head)?
> >>

> >> -derek

the perspective
> > of, "how much
however, you need
> > to exclude the
basis cost (cash in).

> in my belief that there is no existing
> > report that will do what you
describe?
> > the Advanced Portfolio
shows only appreciation

get

> > GnuCash to  show
as part of my ROI
> > (gain).
capital gains and dividends,
> > it is making a return

> > "gain" that I need to track, preferably

> > report.
> >> >>

>> IMO, whether the cap gains/dividends are
> > or not
should be

> > is the cap gain/dividend
is simply

that return. So, don't
> > worry

ROI formula (for a single commodity)
> > should be

is reinvested,
> > then it
CurrentValue).

> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95
MIT Media
> > Laboratory
> >>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing
Board  (SIPB)

    N1NWH

> >    warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key
available