Compile glitch

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 13 15:33:13 EDT 2004

hi,

Thomas Spahni <tsp at lawbiz.ch> writes:

> Dear listmembers,
>
> I compiled gnucash 1.8.9 on a SuSE 8.2 Intel platform and
> noted the following:
>
> 1. to compile g-wrap 1.3.4 '-Werrors' must be edited out of the
>    Makefiles. This has been covered before on this list, but
>    it takes some time to figure it out.

g-wrap isn't our package; we have no control over their build-process
error.  IFF we choose to embed g-wrap in the next major release then
we'll make sure the build issues are fixed.  But until then, we have
nothing to do with it.

> 2. when bonobo.devel is missing but guppi is present configure
>    complains about a missing guppi. I think it should check for
>    bonobo before using it in the check for guppi.

You can compile guppi without bonobo, and gnucash itself does not
depend on bonobo..  So it's not reasonable to REQUIRE bonobo when it's
not an explicit dependency.  Indeed, you CAN build gnucash without
bonobo IFF all the dependencies are built without bonobo.

So, no, gnucash's configure will not be changed..  You can always
figure out what's broken by looking at the config.log, which is what
is ALWAYS recommended..  Actually, we just recommend that you use your
vendor's package when available instead of building it yourself.

> The resulting binary is running fine except for the
> following warning:
>
> GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Could not open network socket.
>
> I don't know what that means; any hints are welcome.

Never seen this one before.