Transferring shares of stock

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:47:41 EDT 2004

Over the years, I've had a number of different stock brokers, and have
transferred shares from one account to another.  My accounts look something like:

Assets:Investments:Brokers:
+Broker Foo
|-Stock X
|-Stock Y
+Broker Bar
|-Stock X
|-Stock Z

Note that brokers Foo and Bar share some of the same stocks, because I've owned
that particular company through each of the brokers.  The currency in Broker Foo
and Broker Bar is dollars, but the currency in each Stock is shares of stock.
Needless to say, if I want to transfer shares from Foo:Stock X to Bar:Stock X, I
simply enter a negative number of shares in Foo:Stock X, with no price -- and
Bar:Stock X as the destination.

The idea is that I am transferring the currency to another account that uses the
same currency.

I would expect the behavior to be such that if I open Bar:Stock X, it shows the
transfer as receiving the number of shares transferred out of Foo:Stock X.
However, it does not.  It instead puts in some seemingly random large float (the
number of shares transferred was integer).

1.  Am I doing this right "accounting-wise"?
2.  Is this a bug in the program or a bug in my user-expectations?
3.  This messes with the report that shows Advanced Portfolio.  If I check off
"include 0 share accounts", it includes both... but Foo:Stock X shows a 100%
loss since no dollars were ever gained in that account for that stock, and
Bar:Stock X shows ###% (infinite) gain, because no dollars were spent to acquire
the stock.  It'd be nice if those two lines were aggregated, so that all
instances of buying and selling Stock X were within one line, thereby providing
the accurate results of dealings with that stock, regardless of the account in
which it was bought/sold.

Anybody got answers to (1), (2), or (3)?  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas John Vitolo
Ph D Systems Engineering Candidate,
Boston University