gnucash over X font problem

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Thu Sep 23 08:39:12 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting andy thomas <andy at netstat-a.net>:
>
> > Yes, that's right. I've since read that gnucash 1.8 uses gtk2 which in
> > turn uses its own font 'engine' (meaning server?) whereas earlier versions
> > used gtk1. It so happens that the systems on which I ran gnucash remotely
> > before had gtk1 installed but not gtk2. So it looks as if gnucash 1.8
> > breaks the traditional X-windows model by requiring gtk2 be installed on
> > the remote system. This is a problem - it's a fair bit of work to install
> > gtk on, say, a system running Digital UNIX and really defeats the whole idea
> > of X-Windows client/server operation.
>
> Well, you've read wrong.  GnuCash 1.8 is still a gnome-1.4 app; it does not use
> gtk2.  So your analysis is incorrect.

Which just goes to show one shouldn't believe everything that's written
on the web :-)

> > It's not a real disaster - I could try re-installing gnucash 1.6 and
> > using that when I'm out & about and version 1.8 when I'm in the office. Or
> > use it as an excuse to finally buy myself a laptop ;-)
>
> Honestly, I don't know what gnucash-1.8 is doing differently than gnucash-1.6;
> the X/Gnome/Gtk dependencies are EXACTLY THE SAME.  This means it's a
> difference in the dependency provided by SuSE, not a difference in the version
> of gnucash or how it uses those dependencies.  I.E., this is something that
> SuSE 9.1 does vs. SuSE 8.2 -- it has nothing to do with gnucash 1.8.
>
> If you installed SuSE 8.2 and then hand-compiled GnuCash 1.8 I bet you it would
> work just fine..  But I don't suggest going through that kind of hell.  OTOH I
> DO suggest sticking with 1.8, 1.6 is OOOLLLLDDDD and not supported.

I'll try the Debian or RedHat pre-built packages on their respective
platforms first, sharing the accounts files between the systems via NFS.
If those don't work over X, then I'll build gnucash from source on another
system (probably Slackware) and see what happens.

cheers,

Andy

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together