Giving up on Gnucash

Rod Engelsman rodengelsman at ruraltel.net
Fri Apr 22 10:35:52 EDT 2005

Josh Sled wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 01:12, Rod Engelsman wrote:
>
>>I'm in just that situation now with Gnucash! I'm a lot more locked into
>>this than I was into MSMoney. When I switched over in January I just
>>exported my Money accounts as QIF files and imported into GC. But GC
>>doesn't have any kind of export function that I can find. So how do I
>>get my data back out of this thing in a useful form?
>

> There's also `gnucash-to-qif` -- http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/
>
> ...jsled

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

And I know I sounded like an ungrateful ***hole, that wasn't really my
intent. I really *do* appreciate all the hard, unpaid, labor that's gone
into this program. It's just not what I was looking for.

And I'm dead serious about the need for someone to take this and fork it
into a product that's more friendly for home users migrating from
Quicken, Money, etc. The UI paradigm is squarely aimed at accountants
and that's fine, although the strict double-entry, debit & credit,
scheme is little more than an unneccessary anachronism. Banks don't even
use it any more, not in that way at least.  My bank statement has a
single column with checks shown as negative amounts and deposits as
positive amounts. The debit/credit, left column/right column business is
simply a computational device intended to minimize mistakes by clerks.
My computer isn't prone to math mistakes so it isn't needed.

So, thanks, but see you later. Take care and I wish you the best.

Rod