Giving up on Gnucash

Rod Engelsman rodengelsman at ruraltel.net
Fri Apr 22 12:20:26 EDT 2005

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Rod Engelsman wrote:
>
>> And I'm dead serious about the need for someone to take this and fork it
>> into a product that's more friendly for home users migrating from
>> Quicken,
>> Money, etc. The UI paradigm is squarely aimed at accountants and that's
>> fine, although the strict double-entry, debit & credit, scheme is little
>> more than an unneccessary anachronism.
>

>   I beg to differ. I used MoneyCounts on DOS from 1984-1997 (when I
> migrated
> from DOS to linux), and it was double entry from the beginning. It takes a
> little thought to understand that each entry in the check register
> represents
> a specific source of income or expense and this representation is all
> that a
> double-entry system does. If you don't make notes in your paper checkbook
> register then you have no idea why you wrote a check to the hardware store
> (for example) last year.

That's not what I'm talking about. Money, Quicken, and all the rest use
double-entry in that respect. And I have done the same for many years.
What I'm referring to specifically is the debit/credit,
left-column/right-column business.

THAT in particular is the anachronistic part. It was invented by smart
people so that they could hire less-smart people to do their
bookkeeping. It accomplishes several things: It eliminates subtraction;
all amounts are expressed in positive numbers, thus eliminating a source
of errors (most people are better at addition than subtraction). It puts
forth a simple rule; every entry in a left column must be balanced by an
entry in a right column -- somewhere, thus eliminating errors caused by
mis-interpreting the "sense" of an account (asset vs. liability, or
expense vs. income).

>   Of course, there are people who find a hand crank on automobile
> windows to
> be a bother, too. They prefer to push a button and let the motor do the
> work.
> Different strokes for different folks. Shrug.

Yeah. I like my power windows. A lot safer than trying to roll up the
passenger side window manually when you're driving alone.

>> The debit/credit, left column/right column business is simply a
>> computational device intended to minimize mistakes by clerks. My computer
>> isn't prone to math mistakes so it isn't needed.
>

>   No, it's the practice of accountants who've used it for at least a couple
> of centuries. Long before computers were in every home. Take a look at old
> company ledgers (summary accounts) and journals (daily transaction records)
> and see if they're just a list of numbers.

What did I just say? It's a computational device from before the era of
computers. It was specifically set forth as a (relatively) simple set of
rules to minimize error and make it likely to catch any errors that
slipped through.

>> So, thanks, but see you later. Take care and I wish you the best.
>

>   I'm really sorry you're so closed-minded to learning something new.

That would explain why at the age of 44 I'm in a Master's degree program
to embark on a second career. Honor Society and Chancelor's list, FWIW.
I'm not an idiot and I'm not closed-minded. And I am of the opinion that
Microsoft sucks as a corporate citizen. Which is why I am giving Linux a
fair evaluation.

 > Given
 > that, however, you're much better off under the total care control of
 > Microsoft. No thinking required.

Stuff it. I have given it thought. I actually researched double-entry
accounting, learned something of the history, and have even read the
critiques concerning the mechanical parts of it by learned men. The
basic principles behind it -- matching inflows with sources and outflows
with expenses -- is perfectly implemented in more friendly and intuitive
software that doesn't presume to require you to learn a different
vocabulary for the exact same thing, or confuse you by presenting you a
checkbook register that looks *almost* the same as the paper one
supplied by the bank, but with the critical deposit and withdrawal
columns interchanged -- for absolutely *NO* reason.

Why the hell can't someone say, "Well, I've tried it, it's a decent
piece of work, but I can't really like it. Here's why," without getting
insults?

Frankly, your last comments lead me to believe that you're a pompous ass.

Rod