Double-Entry Bookkeeping, Debits & Credits

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 22 20:31:12 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Wow. is that really necessary? Seems to me that there is now a nice record
> of the very basics of double-entry placed in the archives of the list for
> all to use or not as they see fit.

Andrew,

   Wasn't worth my time responding.

> Thanks Rich for taking the time!

   You're certainly welcome. I remember reading questions about double-entry
bookkeeping and debits/credits on the gnucash mail list several years ago. I
couldn't think of an analogy then that would allow folks to understand it.
The need comes up every time someone moves from a manual system to a digital
one.

   I gain so much from those who labor in the morass of system/network
administration and in getting web applications up and running that I try to
return the favor when and as I can. Some just don't grok the concept.

Carpe weekend,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)

P.S. The next time I drive up to Spokane to visit a good friend (or on
business), we'll make sure to drop by your establishment and raise a pint or
two of microbrew.

R.