giving up on gnucash

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Apr 23 15:23:47 EDT 2005

This has been going on for a while.

I agree that gnu-cash does not provide basic accounting features that a
business might expect.  The problem is that gnu-cash is a personal accounting
program.  I think a lot of business people thought they (me included) could
strip out the personal accounts from the chart of accounts and create a gui
based, basic accounting program that does not cost an arm and a leg, and,
more importantly, does not marry one to the likes of Intuit or Microsoft.

Wrong product!

I wonder if those of us should look elsewhere for the same parameters (linux,
open source, open discussion of future features, low cost, etc.).  I would
like to hear about other packages that might be more appropriate for the
small business community.  I still use a DOS package that Intuit bought to
get off the market ("In House Accountant").  It has Y2K issues, so I am in
the process of re-writing it under the xBase language, hoping that xBase will
survive as a multiplatform database language for "local databases".

Any thoughts?
---
John Sowden
American Sentry Systems. Inc.
1221 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA  94901

U.L. Listed Central Station Alarm Service
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967

mail at americansentry.net
http://www.americansentry.net