rethinking, therefore questions

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Mon Apr 25 02:39:34 EDT 2005

Wow!

After reading many messages re: the lack of business features over the last
week, and a few more over the last few months, I wrote my msg to those who, I
thought, were asking a personal money management program to fill the shoes of
a business accounting program.   I apologize to the group, users and
developers both, for sustaining the thread.

Since the reponses were so strong that gnucash will work for small businesses,
I am trying again.  The last time I used the program, it was version 1.6 (from
Suse 8.0).  Now I have 1.8.0 (from Suse 8.2).  I see from the web site that
the current version is 1.8.11, so my concerns may not be valid.

1) When I click on 'Options' and attempt to add 'Code' to display, the program
crashes immediately.  This is a consistant issue.  I found that there were no
codes entered, so I added codes to 2 accounts.  same result.

2) At the web site, I went to the bug section, where I was presented with a
total of about 1450 bugs, fixed and not fixed.  There does not seem to be a
search option to search for 'option', and after about 300 bugs, I gavce up
looking.  Has this bug been fixed, or is it a bug at all, or am I using the
program improperly.

3) On setting up the initial accounts, assuming that we are starting at the
beginning of an accounting period (year), there should be no balances in
income or expenses, other than the previous year's balances, which I have
neither looked for, not found yet.   At the beginning of the year, without
getting complicated (partially depreciated fixed assets, etc.), have
$1,000.00 in the checking account, a debit, and $1,000.00 in the equity
account, a credit, would make sense, but the program does not let me enter an
equity balance. . . .

4) The help system is for on line only.  Has this changed?

5) How do I upgrade?  Is there a step by step?  Do I delete the previous
version first, are my report modifications lost, etc.?

---
John Sowden
American Sentry Systems. Inc.
1221 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA  94901

U.L. Listed Central Station Alarm Service
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967

mail at americansentry.net
http://www.americansentry.net