rethinking, therefore questions

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 06:50:37 EDT 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 7:39 am, John Sowden wrote:
> Since the reponses were so strong that gnucash will work for small
> businesses, I am trying again.  The last time I used the program, it was
> version 1.6 (from Suse 8.0).  Now I have 1.8.0 (from Suse 8.2).  I see from
> the web site that the current version is 1.8.11, so my concerns may not be
> valid.

It's very hard to tell without trawling through over two years worth of
changes. 1.8.0 is v.old.

Subject: ANNOUNCE: GnuCash 1.8.0
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 04:59:40 -0500 (EST)
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2003-February/msg00018.html

> 2) At the web site, I went to the bug section, where I was presented with a
> total of about 1450 bugs, fixed and not fixed.  There does not seem to be a
> search option to search for 'option', and after about 300 bugs, I gavce up
> looking.  Has this bug been fixed, or is it a bug at all, or am I using the
> program improperly.

You are using the wrong version to ask the question. You should be using at
least 1.8.9 and preferably 1.8.11 to tell if these problems have been fixed -
it's a lot of work at this end trying to compare your list against bugs that
have been fixed over a year ago.

v1.8.8 was available for Suse : 2004-04-07 10:54:07
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1221996/com/gnucash-1.8.8-49.i586.rpm.html

Please update!

GnuCash on Suse9.0 was discussed on the gnucash lists in November 2003!

> 5) How do I upgrade?  Is there a step by step?  Do I delete the previous
> version first, are my report modifications lost, etc.?

There are packages available for SuSE to update but whether you can use them
to update Suse8 when the current version is Suse9, I don't know. I would
suspect it could get involved.

Update to the latest SuSE first, you'll probably find at least GnuCash 1.8.7
that way and possibly 1.8.9

--

Neil Williams