Appearance of unwanted character in reports

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Apr 27 17:56:58 EDT 2005

  David Needs <djnjwd at ntlworld.com>,
  In a message on Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:18:48 +0100, wrote :

DN> Thank you; this does solve the problem, but the advice given in the FAQ wiki
DN> only works if you edit the LANG/locale settings in a shell, and then run
DN> Gnucash from that shell. The FAQ does not suggest a way of permanently
DN> keeping the settings so that it can be run without resorting to the command
DN> line every time...

This is more of a general Linux config / user shell config / environment
variable thing, but basically you need to do one of:

A) Change the system wide locale.  There should be some file in
(usually) /etc/sysconfig/, I think i18n, that you need to edit this
file to remove the .UTF-8.

B) Edit your .bash_login, .profile, or .login (depending on your shell)
and (re)-define LANG as apropoate.

C) Create a three line shell script:

#!/bin/bash
export LANG=YourLocale
gnucash

save this in say, ~/bin/gnucash_wrap.sh, make it executable (chmod +x
~/bin/gnucash_wrap.sh), and then edit your desktop shortcut to run this
instead of the normal gnucash binary.

Option A affects all users on your system, option B affects only you,
but all applications you might run, and option C is specific to gnucash.