Accounting for Section 125 Cefeteria plans (US)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 13 12:38:50 EST 2005

IANAA but how I would set this up:

Assets:FLEX
Liabilities:FLEX

At the beginning of the year, xfer $1000 from L:F -> A:F
Then at every pay period, split your FLEX deduction into L:F from your
normal Income:Salary account.
When you USE your flex money, use it from A:F -> Expense:Medical:whatever.

The difference between the Asset and the Liability is how much you lost
or owe.

You could probably do it as contra accounts instead, if you prefer:

  --Flex
     +--To Spend (Asset)
     +--To Deduct (Liability)

Same rules as above.