Problems with QIF import for checking account - category matching seems horribly designed

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 29 18:04:43 EST 2005

Quoting Randy Burgess <rburgess at usable-thought.com>:

> I should clarify that I use the import process primarily to reconcile
> checking - not to import totally new transactions.

Okay..   I don't think the QIF importer does this.  The OFX importer
might.

> As I remember the old process, if you identified a transaction as a
> "dupe," the dupe expense account was used - thus there was no wiping
> out of this info when importing checking account transactions. That
> appears to be gone now.

Nope, the QIF importer has never done this in my memory of GnuCash...
And my memory goes back to about 1999..  When you mark a transaction
as a duplicate that transaction is just plain ignored for the rest of
the import process.