Newbie: GnuCash & Stock Imports

Hakim Singhji hzs202 at nyu.edu
Tue Dec 27 22:41:30 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Are the dividend reinvestments done in a "different" currency than
> your default currency?
No... they are in the same currency (USD).

> Could you show an example of a QIF transaction that gets imported improperly?
Sure, the following transactions are imported in three different
accounts (Money Market, Brokerage and each Individual Stock) which
leaves 2 (Money Market and Brokerage) of the three unbalanced:

.qif:
- -------------------------------------
!Type:Invst
D08/19'2003
T50.0
NMiscInc
MACH DEPOSIT - PLAN
^
D08/19'2003
T50.0
NBuy
YPFE
I31.35
Q1.4673
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/22'2003
T75.0
NMiscInc
MACH DEPOSIT - ONE-TIME
^
D08/25'2003
T80.0
NMiscInc
MACH DEPOSIT - ONE-TIME
^
D08/26'2003
T15.0
NBuy
YDUC
I13.8
Q0.7971
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/26'2003
T20.0
NBuy
YIJR
I117.0
Q0.1368
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/26'2003
T20.0
NBuy
YIWD
I51.02
Q0.3136
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/26'2003
T25.0
NBuy
YGVT
I8.9245327755
Q2.3531
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/26'2003
T30.0
NBuy
YDIA
I92.74
Q0.2804
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D08/26'2003
T30.0
NBuy
YQQQ
I32.0
Q0.8125
O4.0
MORDER POSTING
^
D09/19'2003
T0.08
NMiscInc
MDIVIDEND:61745P106
^
D09/19'2003
T0.08
NBuy
YGVT
I0.0
Q0.0090
MDIVREINVEST:61745P106
^
D09/23'2003
T0.09
NMiscInc
MDIVIDEND:464287598
^
D09/23'2003
T0.09
NBuy
YIWD
I0.0
Q0.0017
MDIVREINVEST:464287598
^
D09/24'2003
T0.03
NMiscInc
MDIVIDEND:464287804
^
D09/24'2003
T0.03
NBuy
YIJR
I0.0
Q0.0002
MDIVREINVEST:464287804
^
D09/30'2003
T0.07
NMiscInc
MDIVIDEND:26432K108
^
D09/30'2003
T0.07
NBuy
YDUC
I0.0
Q0.0049
MDIVREINVEST:26432K108
^
- -----------------------------------
GnuCash for some reason separates these transactions between the three
accounts that I mentioned earlier, a money market, a brokerage account
and the individual stocks which are subaccounts to the brokerage
account. ALL of the transactions are listed in the brokerage account. Why?

In addition all of the dividend reinvestments come from the money market
account leaving the money market with the actual balance minus total
dividend reinvestment. This causes the money market and the brokerage
account to be unbalanced. I am far from an accountant so I hope that I
explained this well enough for you to assist me.

Best,

- --
Hakim Singhji | New York University
http://www.uranus.dontexist.com

We have a policy that we are not being hacked.
    -- Lisa Kopp, Friendster rep, commenting on a security flaw
       http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.06/dating_pr.html

- --
Hakim Singhji | New York University
http://www.uranus.dontexist.com

Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing; a confusion of the real
with the ideal never goes unpunished.
		-- Goethe