Unbalanced balance sheet

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 5 20:44:55 EST 2005

Hello Derek, hello list

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Derrick Ashby <daeroncs at fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>>Now he tells me!  I confess that it WAS a typo! I am now checking out
>>gnucash as per the instructions on the cvs page at gnucash.  I sometimes
>>think that computers exist merely to make we operators look like
>>complete fools.  In my case I admit that they don't have to try that
>>hard... I will let you know how I get on.
>>

>Okay.  :)

Eventually, I got around to installing the cvs code onto my test
machine, and copying the account file with the unbalanced balance sheet
as well.

The first thing I noticed was a line in the balance sheet for "Orphan"
transactions.  These turned out to be transactions that had been
"balanced" in the original file with a null account.  I have no idea how
that happened, but once I had fixed those in the original account file
the balance sheet was still unbalanced.  When I removed the share
"split" from the copied account file in the cvs gnucash I did get a
balanced balance sheet.

My conclusions are that:

 (1) if you have a balance problem, one useful thing to do is install
the cvs gnucash, and see if it finds any orphan transactions!  Thank you
for introducing that feature; and

(2) there are definite problems with stock sales in gnucash that remain
to be fixed.

I now have to work out what transaction I can put in to get rid of the
inbalance.

Derrick